So last week school started again. Natty and Dallin were redistricted to a new school because of overcrowding at our previous school. It's a lovely school (even though it's not finished yet--it's safe enough for kids to attend, but the gym's not done, the library's not done, no playground, etc., etc.) and the principal and teachers are wonderful from what we've seen so far.
The day of school, about 10 minutes before my alarm went off for the morning, Natty and Dallin came running into our room fully dressed, backpacks on, and were ready to go out and wait. I explained that the bus was not coming for another 45 minutes and that we could just fix some breakfast and chill for a bit. Dallin was *WIRED* so he ate about 2 bites of breakfast and then told me how full he was! I still remember the first day of school butterflies, so I felt complete sympathy for him! Natty was nervous as well and has been anxious because this is the 3rd school she's been in since Kindergarten.
Here are a couple pics from the big day:
This is what a 7:00 a.m. bus pick-up looks like....it's much darker in the winter....When it was time to get on the bus, Dallin didn't even look back--he was just all business..staring straight ahead...I *almost* cried....but then he looked out the window with natty and he had a big grin on his face!
Funny story. When they came home I asked how their days were. Here's my conversation with Natty. (Background info: she likes to say words backwards and calls herself Eilatan (Natalie) around the house or when she's playing games..
N: The teacher asked if anyone liked to be called something different than what was on the rolls.
Me: Uh huh....? (skeptical)
N: I told her I like to be called Eilatan.
Me: You did?! What did she say??
N: She said we'd have to talk about it.
I'm so grateful for such a diplomatic teacher!!
The other day Natty came upstairs looking for scissors, so I took some down with her to see what she and Dallin were doing and this is what I found:
She was making Dallin into a butterfly with bubble wrap complete with wings and a smiley face drawn on with Sharpee marker.. (yes, he could breathe; and yes, I told her NEVER, EVER to do that again), but it was a little bit funny, right??
I put Brooklyn on her belly for a little tummy time and she screamed her guts out. Madison got on her belly and watched her for a couple minutes and Brooklyn fell fast asleep. But Madison just stayed there watching her like this....see...when she's not saying "I hate you Mommy" or "No, no, idiot doctor", she can be very, very sweet! (Yes, she really did say that to the nurse when the nurse was weighing Brooklyn and taking her temp...it made B cry, so Madison felt the need to protect, I guess??) 
Natty's always saying that Brooklyn doesn't like her because she cries quite a bit (I think the colic is subsiding though, thankfully!), but when Natty was holding her the other day, Brooklyn was as content could be and this was the expression on Natty's face...I was melting...
I realized I don't have any good Dallin stories really this time...I think this 6:15 wakeup time is zapping his energy.
Hopefully I'll have something funny for next time!
5 years ago






10 comments:
I love the bubble wrap butterfly. Super creative! Your kids are so cute. Tell Eilatan (that took a sec. to figure out) nice work!
Looks like you have your hands full! What a blessing to have such creative, energetic kids. At least that is what I keep telling myself when Aiden gives me a run for my money. I hope the kids are still excited about school now that it isn't the first day.
Ok, the bubble wrap was hilarious! LOL... I loved the pictures of Madison and Brooklyn, and the one of Natalie and Brooklyn. That little babe definitely has a lotta love :)
Okay so the bubblewrap butterfly literally had me laughing out loud! That is one of my favorites! They are so sweet! And I thought that Victoria's random semi-annual name change to Torie was funny---Natalie has her beat!
Ashly, your kids are so darn cute! I wish my kids were in school already we are counting down the days...Sept 2nd..Brooke
You may not have any good Dallin stories this time, but you have a GREAT Dallin picture. I gasped when I saw that picture, and my first thought was similar to yours - CAN HE BREATHE!!??!! Give Madison a big high five for being protective of her baby. I agree with her - those doctors with their dumb shots are idiots. Definitely not looking forward to that part.
Hey Ashley! I got your blog off of Meg's sight. It is so good to see your darling children. I really enjoyed them at the farm. Congrats on the knew one! I will definately be checking in often!
Check out hamfam5.blogspot.com
Dallin cracks me up, I can totally see him the first day of school!! Your kids are so cute, I love how Madison is already a little protective mom. The whole butterfly thing is something my neice and nephew would do, makes me miss them too!! Thanks for the update, love it!
I love all the pictures. I can't get over how much Natalie looks like you. So is it nice having kids back in school? Give you a little bit more of a break, right?
Madison is a riot! I love the "idiot dr" comment. What a good, big sister.
Post a Comment