Thursday, September 18, 2008

grateful, grateful, grateful.........

Sunday as we were leaving for church, the winds from Ike hit Louisville and it was a little scary to be honest. The winds topped out around 75 mph, and were strong enough to do this: (It's not our tree- just an image I got off our local news website). It was enough to keep over 200,000 people without power. In fact, many of those people are still without power 5 days later and there is a projected estimate that it may take up to 14 days to restore power. And it was enough to have school canceled for this entire week.
So in light of all this, I've been grateful for a few things especially this week:
1-We were lucky that we only had our electricity flash off for a second on Sunday and then everything was, and has been, fine.
2-It wasn't worse- I think of what it was like in TX where they received the brunt of the hurricane and I can only imagine what kind of nightmare that has been for them.
3-Air conditioning. Sunday we had church in the semi-dark and only had open windows to cool the place. It was toasty. We are so spoiled. I will never complain about the chapel being too cold again.
4-A modern-day prophet who warns us and commands us to get our homes in order in case of emergency: food storage, water storage, emergency kits, etc. Watching our bishop's family cooking on a camp grill, using the generator to power their fridge and freezer, and not having to eat out once despite no power for 5 days inspired me to get more on-the-ball. There was no panic involved. There is truth in the scripture that says "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear". I need to be MORE prepared.

Did I mention how grateful I am???

8 comments:

Katy said...

What??!! I had no idea you guys were touched by Ike! Wow, You really are so lucky (blessed, you're definitely living right!) I'm so happy that your power wasn't off for as long as some others!! I'm happy you guys are doing well and no damage occurred! Loves!

Karie said...

I've been wondering about you all!! I heard that most of you were w/o power. We got touched a little by Ike as well, tree branches brought down power lines and most of our neighborhood is without power all week. Our story is the same as yours, power flickered and that was it. VERY GRATEFUL! It would absolutely stink to go w/o power with little kids. Glad you are doing well!!
Luv Kar

angie said...

Wow, Ashley! I am glad you are alright. I am with you..I really feel like I need to prepare some more. Sometimes it just feels so overwhelming :(

Liz said...

How scary. I'm glad that you guys only got a portion of Ike. It's a really good reminder of all that we're blessed with, as well as the fact that Scott & I really need to get our food storage together. I'm glad you guys are okay.

mamasuisse said...

Wow! I had no idea Ike had reached so far. We occasionally get winds up to around 60 mph coming off the point of the mountain out here, and they are terrifying. I love how you call 75 mph winds "a little scary." It sure does make you think.

Jessie said...

It is so nice that you found the blessings in all of this. I know I was complaining about the gas prices going up. Then I remembered Aiden has an uncle serving a mission and Houston and felt very spoiled myself. He got evacuated and is now helping with clean-up and rescue but it was scary until I got word. Glad to hear things were ok with you guys too! Miss you all!!

Brooke said...

Ashly, I am so glad that you are all okay! I didn't know that it went over that far! we all get caught up in our lives! It really put things into perspective..Thanks !!!..Brooke

Darci said...

Wow that is crazy. I keep on thinking about food storage but I don't even know where to start. I am so glad you guys are safe. And I love your picture that comes up when you post. Do you have an invite to my blog? Do you want one? darcindave1@msn.com