Friday, November 21, 2008

Move over Monet....












After Tim did such an awesome job finishing our basement, the walls look pretty bare down there, so the kids each did a painting to get things a little more variegated and interesting. Aren't they cute? The one on the far right has all of the kids' hand prints in a row. I. love. them.

I found a new tool that has become one of my new favorite things. It's called Cleverkeys and it is COOL. I always joke that in addition to not being able to form coherent sentences and forgetting my own name, my vocabulary has decreased exponentially with the birth of each child. But the thing is, I really am not joking. So, I've decided that I want to start writing more and am even taking on a challenge with a couple of friends. I'll tell you if when I complete it. But the point is, if, for example, you want to make a word stronger or tweak the meaning just a bit, you can highlight any word you've typed, press Ctrl L, and it links you directly to a Thesaurus with synonyms for your word. (Did you really think I came up with "variegated" on my own?) I didn't. But *now* I know it and can add it to my word bank. So there. Okay, so just reading that back, it doesn't sound as awesome as it truly is, so you're just going to have to trust me and give it a go.

So I'm not *positive* that this is what the Binky Fairy looks like-one can only assume. All I know is, she came, worked her magic, and left- with virtually no trauma to a certain 2 year old in our home. And ironically enough- the bribe that I she thought was so necessary (3 cute tiny little puppies) went unnoticed after the first day. Today I found out that Lou-lou actually has been thinking about this a little bit though, because out of the blue she says: "The binky fairy came and took my binkies away. Maybe the binky fairy will come and bring me some new ones." I almost felt bad telling her that, "No- the binky fairy only takes, never gives." But the rash around the bottom of her lip told us that the binky deadline had arrived.

Dallin has a crush on a girl who is in his class at school and also is in our church Primary. She's an older woman (7), but he's smitten. Her mom was teaching D's primary class this Sunday and out of the blue, my shy boy raises his hand and says, in front of everyone:"Sister Darla, I'm going to marry Aubrey."
Darla: "Well, okay. You can. But you'll have to buy her a honkin' huge diamond first."
Dallin: "Okay. Can you take me to the store?"
All I can say is: Own it, boy. No shame.

And just because: I love how Natty is old enough to truly enjoy Baby B.
Lou-lou on her perch first thing in the morning.

Is she old enough to be doing this already??! Slow down, Father Time.

9 comments:

mamasuisse said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's like the words have somehow disappeared, and you can sense the spaces where they used to be, but the words are just . . . gone. I'll have to give Cleverkeys a try.

Your kids are so sweet and beautiful. I've never even met Lou-lou, but she has a special place in my heart - the place reserved for funny mischief makers ;-). And Brooklyn is so darling, all round and bouncy. I can't wait to meet them next summer.

mamasuisse said...

And I forgot to say, I LOVE your kid-made artwork - so cute.

Kristin said...

Your kids are so absolutely adorable! Love the picture of the binky fairy - that's cute.

And I love the idea of kid-made artwork in the basement. How fantastic!

Katy said...

Have I mentioned that every time I see the word "Cleverkeys" in my head I read it like one word... imagine saying "Malarky" and that's very similar... geeze, I'm such an ignoramus!!!

The art is FANTASTIC!!! C'mon, tell me the truth, did you hire someone to do those? If not, you need to put your kids to WORK for their bread n' butter!

Oh Dallin, my sweet Dallin! What a nut! I'm cracking up right now!

And that pic of Nattie and BB-- melts my heart into a slushy, drippy mess! LOVE this family!

angie said...

I love your kid's artwork. That is such a cute idea. I defininately need some spice in my vocabulary. I will have to try your suggestion. I also loved the story of Dallin! That is so funny!! You have such beautiful children :)

FYI the boy who taught us corn hole is from Chicago.

Karie said...

That's SUCH a 'Darla' thing to say!! How funny! Nice artwork too.

Alexis said...

AWWW! A crush already. That is cute. And I LOVE the art work, that is a great idea. And the binky fairy might have to make a stop at my house soon. I also like the tip of the ctrl L, I will have to try it, cuz just like you my vocabulary is leaving me, it better mean that my kids are going to be smarter.

Tadd & Linda said...

Clever idea with the artwork! that's darling. Do you think there's a thumb fairy? I need one - might be more painful though. :)

Alysa&Morgan said...

Hi. My name is Alysa. I am Stacy's daughter. I have a question, how do you get the music on your blog? I already have my playlist but I can't find how to put it on my blog. Reply at alysatown.blogspot.com