*"There are many different kinds of skunks. They vary in size (most are housecat-sized) and appear in a variety of striped, spotted, and swirled patterns—"
*Skunks usually nest in burrows constructed by other animals, but they also live in hollow logs or even abandoned buildings.
*Each female gives birth to between two and ten young each year.
*They are nocturnal foragers who eat fruit and plants, insects, larvae, worms, eggs, reptiles, small mammals, and even fish.
*In colder climates, some skunks may sleep in these nests for several weeks of the chilliest season.
*And *apparently*, when nests are not available, they'll make do in MY GARAGE:The day before Thanksgiving I headed out to the car in our garage to get something, just in time to see a s-k-u-n-k run in front of our porch and behind our freezer. Long story short: it stayed there for almost 2 whole days. The whole time I was just praying it would not spray. I called Animal Control- they only take "control" of cats and dogs... so I called Critter Control (yes, that's what they are called) and learned they'd come get the skunk out of our garage. For a bargain price of $285. Needless to say- my dad and Tim were the Critter Control:
this was right before the skunk came out and just slowly slunk away into the night. outside. where he *belongs*.
The next day we had a delicious feast with all the traditional trimmings- and gratefully didn't have eau de Skunk ruining our meal. Then after dinner, we did the traditional Thanksgiving sparklers.
We have our decorations and tree up: (tammy- this pic of the wreath is for you- not impressive, but I honestly tried.... it looked better in my head. I need practice)
Friday night we had our Ward Christmas Party and the kids were in good moods before we left since they were going to see Santa. So I was able, for the first time in my child-infused life, to get a cute shot of all 4 kids in front of the tree...I sure do like these 4.
poor lou-lou is cutting molars and has a nasty rash on the bottom of her lip- I thought it had been binky-related, but the bink is long-gone and the rash is still here. Teeth/frigid cold weather are the only things I can come up with. Any ideas for how to get rid of it?
5 years ago






10 comments:
I also know that skunks can stink up a dog really really well. That happened to our dog this summer. Ick.
What's up with Thanksgiving sparklers? That looks like fun.
Love that pic of your kiddos! They are so adorable. Lou-lou's rash is probably because of all the dry weather lately - Rach has a little of the same thing from biting her lower lip. Keep as much chapstick on it as you can; if it's really bad put some neosporin on it at night before she goes to bed. Good luck!
I am laughing, sorry, but having a skunk in your garage with Tim's system to 'get him out' is great material for a sitcom...or blog.
Sparklers for Thanksgiving? That is perfect! I love sparklers and am sad they only seem to come out for the 4th but thanks to you they will be making an appearance other holidays too. How did that tradition start with your family?
What a cute family! I am so glad you didn't get to smell skunk throughout your Thanksgiving feast. And I am impressed with your wreath. I still have my Autumn one hanging up with no Christmas decor inside. Our lights are on the house though :)
Yea!, glad you didn't have an awful stink on your hands...As far as the rash goes, Emory tends to get ezcema, lotion everyday helps that, unless it's really bad and you can get a better lotion from the doctor or Jaren licked his lips so badly sometimes which caused a rash...the doctor told me to use lots of vaseline to keep the acid from the mouth making it worse...Good luck, it took Jaren a week or two till it finally went away.
You are obviously NOT from the good ol' state of Wyoming, cuz Skunk a la Mode is quite a delicacy! I am cracking up right now, your labeled pics of Skunk-Gate '08 is pure hilarity!!!
The wreath is beautiful, I'm totally going to steal your blueprints on that one!
And the kids, oh the kids, how I love them! I am the luckiest Aunt in the universe... just look at em-- sigh, melt!
I am SO impressed with that picture of your kids - i STILL haven't managed to get a decent pic of the four of mine all together!
All of mine have had rash under lips during the winter when babies/toddlers; occasionally they get it on their cheeks too. Aquaphor healing ointment works WONDERS!! (our walmart stocks it, and most pharmacy's should too) good luck!
Yikes!! I don't know what I would have done if a skunk was living in my garage. And who knew it would cost so much to get rid of a skunk.
One time when I was driving over to your house at night I saw that skunk crossing the road. Sneaky little guy.
That sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. I'm so glad, for Thanksgiving's sake, that it ended well. I love your diagram!
They are all so beautiful! Cassia and I laughed out loud at your trouble with Lou's panties and your skunk. Too funny. You guys look like your having a great time. Your baby is adorable. Time sure flies! I can't believe how old Natalie looks now and I didn't even know you had a fourth! Crazy.
Post a Comment